Size of widgets

Hi ppl,

How would I get the size of a widget in a packing
table *before* the you call gtk_widget_show (table)
and gtk_widget_show (window). (table is the packing
table widget and window is the window - obviously)

I can get the size of the widget *after* I show the
window, but I want to create a border around the table
cells using the GDK *before* the table and window is
displayed! If I try to get the width and the length of
the widget before it is displayed then I do not get
the size, and if I do it after I show the main window
and the packing table then I get the correct
dimensions.

If this has been discussed before then I apologise,
but this has me stumped!

Chris