Effecting more than 1 GTK object when a button is clicked

Am I correct in assuming that if  I want a button click to grab data from
a number of GkEntry boxes, then display the output on a GtkText widget
and have the Window created in a separate file from my callbacks (and
main) I need to make the widgets global throughout the files via extern?
Or is it possible to pass a number of objects via a callback? Or is there
some sort of central table of all widgets I create that I can access by
name?

Can anyone offer some suggestions or point me in the right direction?

-matthew cordes