Help with Panel applets

Hi,

I am trying my first panel applet.  I used the tutorial I found at:
http://developer.gnome.org/doc/tutorials/applet/changes.html

The build goes OK -- but when I run from the cosole I get a long list of
erros starting with "... assertion `hash table != NULL` failed (ghash.c
line 138)

Could anyone send a sample .c that i could biuld and try -- or could you
see what i am doing wrong below.

Thanks for any help.

My code: -------------------------

#include <applet-widget.h>

#define PACKAGE "P1"
#define VERSION "1.0"

int main( int argc, char **argv )
{
        GtkWidget* box1 = gtk_hbox_new(FALSE,0);
        GtkWidget* applet = applet_widget_new(PACKAGE);

        applet_widget_add(APPLET_WIDGET(applet), box1);

        gtk_widget_show (applet);

        applet_widget_init(PACKAGE, VERSION, argc, argv, NULL, 0, NULL);

        applet_widget_gtk_main ();

        return 0;
}