please help me !!!!!(editor)

Hello friend

    I am a final year CSE ENGG student. I am new to gtk..I am looking forward to developing a simple editor which has simple options like file open,save,save as,exit. I have downloaded the gtk tutor from the internet. Can u tell me, to develop an simple editor what part of the tutorial should I master. I have to develop this editor in a week's time. so please help me!!!!!.

http://bol.rediff.com