Re: embedding GTK<->Qt: they can, can we ?

my $0.02
I abandonded QT and wxWindows BECAUSE of the growing fluff
that was being constantly added and wrapped.  wxwindows was
growing wo wrapped in wrappers (admitted I am far from expert
of wx or qt) that I was having a hard time getting anything done.

My needs are to display/future edit integrated circuits.  Currently
I'm dealing only with cells levels 100-> 20,000 transistors.

Withing the next 2 years my programs (QC) will need to handle the
ascii files that eill be > 4gig.  I told this to the
wx list and got one response that said that wx was not meant for
that much data.  Their new (under development) canvas widget would be
great for a small amout of data.  But you must create a rectangle,
polygon, circle and others with their classes for their canvas
to manage it.  2 copies of a 4 gig file in memory, I DON"T THINK SO!

gtk provides no internal canvas database.  I ptovides no drastically
shorthand methods for controlling the screen or data.  It is just
a generic call to the X functions.  Much like programming in Xt.

COuld you imagine the amount of memory necessary to display 4 million
rectangles if I had to maintain my data for output and a canvas maintained
its data for display :(

What I really need is what the old Apollo's had.  A set of
functions that directly accessed the graphics and did not go through
an X server.

I do not intend to send 4M draw_rectangles to the X server.  I draw
to pixmap the send pixmap to server.

In X terminology I believe it would be phrased as :
I draw to memory dc the blit to screen ????

Excuse my ramblings but I jest got started with gtk @ 2 weeks ago
on a very part time basis, and I like it just the way it is, VERY BASIC
GRAPHICS !

I got gtk on my winders box.  I like developing in the MSVC environment.
I'm learning how to expand vim, when I do I'll quit using winders for
gtk development.

Bottom line, I personally don't want to see gtk with a lot of added
features that would make it do the same thing as QT.  If you want that
then use QT.

My words were not ment to offend anyone, just to express my opinion
and to get away from the documentation I'm having to write in support
of some of my programs :)

On Thu, 21 Dec 2000, Paul Barton-Davis wrote:

> This is from:
>
>     http://trolls.troll.no/~lars/xparts/doc/xparts.html
>
>    "Now that we have a dynamically loaded Gtk widget, how do we turn
>     that into a KPart? Quite straight forward. There is a QGtkWidget
>     extension available for Qt, that lets you use Gtk widgets in your
>     Qt applications. You simply create a QGtkWidget with a pointer to
>     the Gtk widget you get from MozEmbed and insert that into your
>     KPart. Then you do a few trivial reimplementations of the virtual
>     functions of the BrowserExtension interface that map to the
>     corresponding functions of Mozilla and you are done. The result is
>     a fully functional Konqueror that uses Mozilla as backend - or
>     rather a fully functional Mozilla that uses Konqueror as graphical
>     user interface, however you want to look at it."
>
> When, if and how will GTK+ ever be able to wrap other widget sets in
> this way ?
>
> --p

=========+=========+=========+=========+=========+=========+=========+
           /___/
Texas Instruments ASIC Circuit Design Methology Group
Dallas, Texas
214-480-4455
bpatton dal asp ti com