Color problem

I have this little problem.  To make a long story short, I can't get GTK+ to
allocate usable colors.  Probably because of something I missed.  But after
days of digging through all sorts of code, I haven't found an answer.

The following link has some example code that puts a custom "colorswatch"
widget above a vscale.  When the vscale is moved, the color should change.
Perhaps someone here can diagnose why the color never changes.  Or even point
out a better way to do this.

  http://crl.nmsu.edu/~mleisher/foo.tgz

P.S. It does use a private colormap because I need more writable colors than
are available in the system colormap on my machines.
Mark Leisher
Computing Research Lab            Cinema, radio, television, magazines are a
New Mexico State University       school of inattention: people look without
Box 30001, Dept. 3CRL             seeing, listen without hearing.
Las Cruces, NM  88003                            -- Robert Bresson