Re: Fw:

On Sun, Dec 17, 2000 at 07:28:28PM -0800, Adam Palitz wrote:
>    I'm not sure if this question should be directed here...if not please
>    send me the correct address/mailing list ...I'm running MANDRAKE Linux
>    kernel version 2.2.15 on a 166 mhz Pentium. the correct xserver is
>    installed as well as gnome and they are both working correctly. I'm
>    trying to install GTK 1.2.8. After I extract the tar to /usr/local/ I
>    go into the directory /usr/local/gtk+-1.2.8 and try to run configure.
>    configure runs smoothly untill it gets to "checking for X" ..it then
>    goes on to say x libraries or include files not founf. Check
>    'config.log' for more details. I realize the problem is stated clearly
>    at the bottom of the config.log ...I'm pretty new to Linux though, and
>    I dont know how to go about modifying whatever it is I have to fix.

It means that you haven't installed the header files for XFree86.
Install a package called "xdev", "xdevel", or "xlibd" (name depends on
distribution).

Erik

PS: Don't send HTML messages to mailing lists. Plain text will do
    perfectly well.

Phone: +31-15-2783635  Fax: +31-15-2781843  Email: J A K Mouw its tudelft nl