Startup size/but not usize

I would like to have an application come at the same size as
the last time it was shut down. I have the information stored OK,
but I need to know how to start the program up at the new size.
Using 'set_usize' operations sets a minimum size, but the user
can't make it smaller than the previous size ever again.

Is there a function that sets the startup size, but still
allows for resizing? Looked for something easy, but either
I skipped over something obvious, or it's harder than it
should be.

Note: this is for a gnome app, but I believe this would be
a gtk operation, but if there is a gnome-only solution I'd
still like to hear about it.