Changing pixmap

I'm starting to program with gtk+ and glade. I want to do the following
thing: I have an hbox with two entries: the right entry is a toggle
button, and the left entry is a pixmap, say "pix1". I got this far with
glade, I built and compiled the program and all is well. What I want now,
is to change pix1 to another pixmap "pix2" when the button is toggled. I
know how to determine if the button is active or not, but how do I replace
"pix1" with "pix2"? Do I create both pixmaps from the beginning and pack
either one with the toggle button into the hbox and display the whole
thing each time the buttonn is toggled?

The idea is to simulate a led: show some dark color when inactive, and a
bright color when active.

Thanks.