Re: menu accelerators

On Mon, 4 Dec 2000, Matt Hillebrand wrote:

> Okay, so we have all agreed that they are a mixed blessing.
>
> There really ought to be a way for the programmer and/or user of the
> program to specify whether or not they would like menu accelerators to be
> dynamically changed, and it would really be nice if the changes were
> persistent so that they wouldn't have to be made for each session of that
> program.

True.  I think this should be up to the user, since it depends a lot on
what background he or she is from.  And for consistency, this should not
only be persistent, it should be a general option for GTK, not a
per-program option.  I can see how some might want it different for
different programs, but the resulting confusion if they're not all the same
would be great.  I think the most useable default is to have Alt-* not be
useable for dynamic accelerators, with possible options being no dynamic
accelerators, no menu accelerators, or no use of dynamic accelerators when
the menu is opened with Alt-*.

-Lars

--
Lars Clausen (http://shasta.cs.uiuc.edu/~lrclause) | Hårdgrim of Numenor
"I do not agree with a word that you say, but I    | Retainer of Sir Kegg