How does GTK implement Iconify and Deiconify itself?

Hi! Friends.

I have an application which needs inconifying and
deiconifying itself when it receive a message from a
signal (message queue).

I have a global value to keep the application status
(iconifies or deiconified). The step is that:

If the app is in iconified status when reciving
signal, it will deiconify itself (show itself on the
display).
If the app is in deiconified status(in show status)
when receiving the signal, it will iconify itself.

If you have any ideas please let me know. I can be
reached at phillip.lu@cimlinc.com or
phillip_lu@yahoo.com

Thank you very much!

Phillip Lu