Re: [gtk-list] Re: X and idles => incredible slowdowns

On Sat, Apr 29, 2000 at 06:26:26PM +0200, Antonio Campos wrote:
> But you have to agree with me, that an application being able to take almost
> all the control of the X server, IS A VERY BAD THING. It makes posible
> malicious applications, X hangs and therefore Linux hangs, etc.

This isn't really all that different from the situation with any
application.  If I trick you into running the program:

int main()
{
  for(;;) {
    fork();
    malloc(100000);
  }
}

your system is going to get very unhappy very fast.  So this problem
has nothing to do with X, and complaining to the XFree people will
probably just annoy them.  (Sure, maybe XFree could change its
behavior if one client is flooding it with requests, but it seems to
me that the nuts and bolts of how to do this properly would be
extremely tricky --- and I'm sure a "malicious app" could always find
a way to get around any reasonable scheme.  There are other ways to
consume all X server resources than just flooding it with window-move
requests.)

And anyway, as pointed out by others already, the situation with Linux
is much better than that on Windows...

-JT

--
GNU/Linux: Free your mind and your OS will follow.