gtk_list / gtk_clist selection mode combination

Hi All,

(Hope this message does not double cos it was sent first when the list had
been down.)

I want the user to be able to select items in a list in the form of the
following pattern:

Listentries    Selected(X)

item
item             X
item             X
item             X
item             X
item
item             X
item             X
item             X
item
item             X
 ...and so on.

Right now its a GtkList, I will change it to a GtkCList in the future, but
that shouldn't matter, right?
I wonder whether I can combine the (GtkSelectionMode)MODE within the call to

void gtk_list_set_selection_mode (GtkList *LIST, GtkSelectionMode MODE)

(similar for a GtkCList)
in order to achieve this.

>From gtkenums.h:
/* list selection modes */
typedef enum
{
  GTK_SELECTION_SINGLE,
  GTK_SELECTION_BROWSE,
  GTK_SELECTION_MULTIPLE,
  GTK_SELECTION_EXTENDED
} GtkSelectionMode;

Bitwise OR / XOR / AND did not work. Earlier I tried subsequent calls with
GTK_SELECTION_MULTIPLE and thereafter GTK_SELECTION_EXTENDED.

   any ideas ... or is it just impossible?

 TIA, Bye,

   Martin