Re: [gtk-list] Re: [gtkmm] [Q] Panel Applet IDL etc

Okay, this is where I might engage either bullsh*t or
ignorance modes.

I've been a C++ / CORBA developer for 3 years now and
think I've got CORBA sussed. <grin>

However, my knowledge of GNOME / Gtk+ is only 2 months
in the making, of Gnorba / ORBit none and Gtk-- 1
week!

I understand that the panel itself has an IDL so
applications can connect to it and interact with it
("how many applets are you running?", "launch an
applet of type X for me" (using the GOAD I assume),
"what is your orientation (horizontal or vertical)?"
etc).

I also thought that since the GOAD (via the .gnorba
file? or is it the .desktop file?) requires you to
specify what IDL file (in the repository, I think) an
Applet will support.

So I was hoping to deposit in the repository an IDL
interface that's a derivation of the standard Applet
IDL and then use Gnorba / ORBit to connect to **my**
Applet (either directly or via the panel?) and
communicate with it as I please.

Actually all I want to do is tell it "You have n new
e-mail messages unread", where n >= 0. My Applet will
simply be an mail notification Applet (a la Biff) but
that works with the GtkYahoo Pager (a C / Gtk+
implemented Yahoo! Messenger inter-operable instant
messenging client I've been working on part-time for a
couple of months: http://www.unixtools.org/gtkyahoo/).

Does this make more sense?

I guess I was also hoping that I could learn some
Gnorba / ORBit / GOAD etc by doing this.

I also chose Gtk-- and Panel-- because I **vastly**
prefer C++ to C. (Although to get these I had to
install gnome-core-devel 1.1.8, libsigc++ and
de-install some KDE stuff to/from my RedHat 6.1 distro
to get this! <sigh>)

TIA

Craig.