Window resizing and position

I am trying to resize a window but I got some problems.  The way I am
doing this is:

	1 - I let the WM position the window where it finds better.

	2 - To resize the window the only way I found is:
		a. hide the window
		b. set a new default size
		c. show it again.

The problem is that when the window is shown (c) the WM position it
where it want.

What I need is to position the window in 'c', in the same place it was
before.

However I don't want to set where it will be in the first time, using
set_uposition().  I want to let the WM do this.
But I do want to keep it in the same place when it is resized.

Can I resize the window, without hide/show?  Is this the right way for
doing this?

One last question:

	Is there a way to know if the user resized the window, and get
	the new values?

Sorry if I not clear enought.

Best Regards,
Raul Dias