Re: [gtk-list] debugger recommendations?

On Fri, 24 Sep 1999, Hal Greenwald wrote:

>    Hi,
>       I'm developing a large PC-based linux system
>    using gtk and posix threads. Can anyone suggest
>    a good (gui-based) debugger. I tried Cignus-insight,
>    but it does not support multi-threading.

Insight is a wrapper around GDB (actually I think it has
Tk code linked in with it, but its still based on GDB).

"Standard" GDB supports threading for certain platforms, but I
don't believe Linux is among them yet.  If that is the case,
there are a few projects that have been working on thread-aware
GDB.  One of the more promising-looking ones is here,

  http://hegel.ittc.ukans.edu/projects/smartgdb/

I haven't used it myself, and while it has a Tcl interpreter
built into it, I didn't see any GUI features advertised.
If you want a GUI around your debugger, you might try
"ddd --debugger smartgdb" and see where that gets you.

  http://www.cs.tu-bs.de/softech/ddd/

I've used DDD in a similar fashion with cross-development
versions of gdb and it has worked well for me.

I recommend you build DDD from the sources (including the supplied
LessTif 0.87) - the binary crashed on me.

>    Thanks,
>    Hal Greenwald

Hope this helps,
-Jamie Guinan

Jamie Guinan                         Blue Button Solutions, Inc.
guinan@bluebutton.com                  http://www.bluebutton.com