Re: [gtk-list] Sound engine for Gtk

Doh!! Here ya'll go:

Steve

--
Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.
Esd Sound Engine Patch for Gtk

Notes.....: Probably Horribly buggy, but it's a start, right?

            Offical website: Well that's a laugh, but if you
	    didn't get it from http://www.csn.ul.ie/~diamond/idc/
	    then it's a miracle.

Credits...: Caolan McNamara <caolan@csn.ul.ie> THE man himself,
	    for all his help/weird jokes :-)

	    The Interaction Design Centre in the University of
	    Limerick sponsered me while I worked on this project,
   	    under the wisdom of Mikael Fernström.
	    http://www.ul.ie/~idc/

	    Ricdude <ricdude@toad.net> - wrote the Enlightened
	    Sound Daemon (esd) - http://www.tux.org/~ricdude/EsounD.html

	    And of course all those wonderful Gtk hackers!

Description
----------------------------------
This patch adds audio feedback to normal gui operations:
buttons and scrollbars so far. The idea is so that
an ordinary Joe Soap (or John Doe for our american friends)
can know, without looking, approx. how far down the page he
is, or whether he pressed the button properly without slipping
off etc.

Also available is a patch for the Mozilla M8 release. It supplies
audio feedback for the download widget in mozilla. It's available
in the same place.

Features
----------------------------------
- Volume and "clunkiness" of button sounds are
  directly related to button size.
- All sounds are panned with relation to position
  on screen. Ie. button on the left hand side of
  the screen produces a sound on the left etc.
- Scrollbars sounds change pitch as they
  move up/down, left/right.
- All sounds are dymanically created at the
  start of the program, and are then cached in
  $USER/.gtk/sound/ for future use.

Requirements
----------------------------------
Esd 0.2.8  - http://www.tux.org/~ricdude/EsounD.html
Csound 3.5 - http://www.leeds.ac.uk/music/Man/c_front.html#binaries
Gtk+ 1.2.3 - http://www.gtk.org

Installation
----------------------------------
This is a patch to the gtk+ 1.2.3 source,
so if gtk is in /foo/bar/gtk+-1.2.3,
change to dir /foo/bar and run
patch -p0 < /path/to/patch/gtk+-1.2.3-esd-sound-patch-230999
This should apply alright.
After that , change into the gtk dir,
and run
automake
./configure
make
make install

Notes
----------------------------------
I've assumed in the code that csound is installed
in /usr/local/bin . Stupid I know, but Makefiles
are not my thing. If anyone wants to, make the
configure script figure out the installation
location, and send it to me - thanks.

Also - there seems to be some sort of bug somewhere,
my gut feeling is that it's in esd or below so therefore
not my problem :-) :
	When the scrollbar on a window has been
scrolled down, this changes the pitch of the buttons
sounds on that window.

If anyone downloads this, or uses it, or has
any suggestions/wanted features/unwanted features/bugfixes,
just send me a mail.