Re: [gtk-list] Problem with installation

On Fri, 24 Sep 1999 12:14:42 +0000 (GMT), Axel Braun wrote:
> sorry for submiting a newbie-question, but i have a problem installing
> gtk 1.2.4:
> I downloaded and installed also glib 1.2.4 (which worked fine).
>
> When installing gtk, I got the error message:This file contains any
> messages produced by compilers while
> running configure, to aid debugging if configure makes a mistake.
>
> [del]
> configure:4514: checking for X
> configure:4581: gcc -E  conftest.c >/dev/null 2>conftest.out
> configure:4577: X11/Intrinsic.h: No such file or directory
> configure: failed program was:
> #line 4576 "configure"
> #include "confdefs.h"
> #include <X11/Intrinsic.h>
> configure:4657: gcc -o conftest -g -O2 -Wall   conftest.c -lXt   1>&5
> configure: In function `main':
> configure:4653: warning: implicit declaration of function `XtMalloc'
> /usr/i486-linux/bin/ld: cannot open -lXt: No such file or directory
> collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
> configure: failed program was:
> #line 4650 "configure"
> #include "confdefs.h"
>
> int main() {
> XtMalloc()
> ; return 0; }
>

> Can someone give me a hint where i will find this missing thing
> (-lXt)?
> I'm running on SUSE 6.1 with Xfree 3.3.4, KDE 1.1.1 and no further
> changes.

I wonder how you got it installed at all: if you compiled it yourself, it
wouldn't have passed the GTK configure script; if you installed it as a
package, the package manager's (SuSE uses rpm, IIRC) dependencies are
horrible broken. Anyway, your system misses the X11 development headers,
if you install them, configure should be able to find them. The package is
called something like "x11dev" or "x11devhdr" (use your imagination, I'm
a Debian user ;-).

Oh, and try to upgrade to GTK 1.2.5 instead of 1.2.4 ASAP. I don't know if
there already is a package available for SuSE, the tarball was released
this morning.

Erik

Phone: +31-15-2785859  Fax: +31-15-2781843  Email J.A.K.Mouw@its.tudelft.nl