Re: [gtk-list] Install GTK+1.2.0

On Wed, 22 Sep 1999 18:10:54 +0200, BILLARD François-Marie wrote:
> Hello,
> i try install GTK on a PC with LINUX mandrake 5.3.
> After ./configure --x-includes=/usr/X11R6/include --x-libraries=/usr/X11R6/lib
> i have this message :
> checking for XOpenDisplay in -lX11 ... no
> configure error  *** libX11 not found.
>
> What can i do.

You did not install the X libraries on your system. Try "locate libX11" to
find out. If nothing shows up, use Mandrake's package manager (RPM, if I'm
correct) to install them. They are typically named xlib or xlibdev.

Another problem can be that the X libraries don't live in /usr/X11R6, but
somewhere else on the filesystem. The "--x-libraries=/usr/X11R6/lib"
forces configure to look in /usr/X11R6/lib, but if the libraries are not
there, it will fail miserably. Try configuring without the X flags,
configure is smart enough to find the X libraries by itself (on Linux
systems).

I'd also like to suggest that you use the newer GTK+ 1.2.4 instead of
1.2.0; 1.2.4 has less (known) bugs.

Erik

Phone: +31-15-2785859  Fax: +31-15-2781843  Email J.A.K.Mouw@its.tudelft.nl