Performance of g_list_nth() in CList

The performance of my application suffers when there are more that 40 000
entries in a clist in almost every aspect. I traced the problem down to
all the g_list_nth() calls in the clist widget code.

One obvious solutions is to change row_list from a GList to an array that
is realloced, because the GList only has a performance when a lot of
insertions are made (at the top or in the middle). An array will be a lot
cleaner in many repects, and is clearly the better choice (in retrospect).

Is there a great demand for this, and how should I go about implementing
it so that it gets into the gtk+ sources ? How important will backward
compatibility be ?