Re: [gtk-list] error with helloworld.c on gtk+

On Thu, 09 Sep 1999 14:53:44 -0700, Adam Chrystie wrote:
> I am trying to learn GTK and wanted to compile helloworld.c that is on the
> gtk.org tutorial.
>
> i get the following error after typing int he gcc command.....
>
> gcc -Wall -g hello.c -o helloworld `gtk-config --cflags --libs`
>
> /usr/bin/ld: cannot open -lXext: No such file or directory
> collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
>
> Any ideas..or config files i should check???

Hmm, looks like your system misses some libraries, or the gtk-config
script is wrong. Assumed that you use a Linux system (you didn't tell, so
I have to guess), try:

  gcc -Wall -g hello.c -o helloworld -L/usr/X11R6/lib `gtk-config --cflags --libs`

If that fails, there is something really broken. If this solves your
problem, you *could* edit the gtk-config script, and add  -L/usr/X11R6/lib
in the "--libs)" section.

Erik

Phone: +31-15-2785859  Fax: +31-15-2781843  Email J.A.K.Mouw@its.tudelft.nl