Re: [gtk-list] Data entry grid widget?

John C Atkeson wrote:

>   I have to write a simple database browser for work...   You know, looks
> like a spreadsheet where rows=records and columns=fields; the user types
> text in each cell then presses enter to advance to each next cell, for
> fast data entry with many records onscreen at once.
>
>   Is a table the best widget to build from, or is there something better
> already written?

The only other one I know of is GtkSheet which seems to be quite a
full featured widget.  I've been trying to do the same thing as you
and have been toying with writing my own table entry widget with
the features I would like to see.  Right now I'm just learning all
I can about the internals of complex widgets like this.  I'm mainly
looking at the gtkclist source code to try and decipher it all.

What I want is the normal columns and rows.  I want to make it easy
to do data validation (separate signal for this) and traversing.  The
main feature I want that nothing else has right now is both column
headers and footers.  The footers would be used for things like totals
and such.  Not sure if its worth all the work though or if I can use
something like GtkSheet to do all I need.

--
Brad Pepers
Linux Canada Inc.            Home of Linux products in Canada!