position and point in gtk_text

Hi,

does anybody know what the difference between gtk_editable_position
resp. gtk_editable_set_position and gtk_text_point resp.
gtk_text_set_point is?

I have played around with those features for a while now. It seems to me
that positions represents the Caret position (that blinking thing that
marks the current position for the user) and point marks a abstract
position that will be used in further calls to gtk_text features?

Any help is greatly appreciated!

many thanks in advance,
Andreas
PS: I am asking this also because for some strange reason
gtk_text_set_position is segfaulting ?! But I have yet to find out when
and why it does so.