Re: [gtk-list] Re: GTK or Qt

On Tue, Sep 07, 1999 at 11:22:11AM -0400, Havoc Pennington wrote:

> On Tue, 7 Sep 1999, Jan Van Eetvelde wrote:
> > we, a group of studens, are making a device for measurments for our
> > thesis. I have to write the GUI of this device, ...
> > We will use RTLinux to get the data in our computer (Real Time) ...
> > the problem I have, is how to display these data on our screen ? One
> > will understand that the refreshing rate has to be as high as possible
> >
> > I hope this will explain what I mean by "speed"
> >

> You should be able to get very close to maxing out X with either toolkit.
> I'd say your main concern should be to get a reasonably fast computer and
> video card, also a video card with a good X server available. The toolkit
> shouldn't be a bottleneck here (you're going to be rendering the display
> yourself anyway, rather than using a stock widget).

Maybe it would be nice for you to try the 3.9.x line of X server, they are
rumored to be faster and overall better designed than the 3.3.x one. They are
still experimental though, you should look at the xfree site for more detail.

Having run gtk apps on very slow setup, i noticed that mostly it ran with
acceptable speed, if you avoid slow widget or some of the heavy gnome stuff.
Don't know about Qt.

Friendly,

Sven LUTHER