Gtk image maps?

Is there a way to make image map type object with Gtk similar to what you
might see on a web page?

What I'd like to do is have an image inside a box, and connect signals to
the image based off of what coordinates the pointer was at when the mouse
clicks.

I'm guessing that I would need to use a GtkEventBox with the image widget
packed inside of it, but how would I query the pointer relative to the
image, (i.e. have it return 0,0 if you are in the upper left hand corner
of the image, not the screen)  Would that even work?

David