Whoo Hoo!

Excuse this post!

When I first heard about linux I thought to myself: I wonder what
programming libraries exist. After having a search through some URL
which compared the various libraries I came across three that seemed to
stand out: xForms, Qt and Gtk+. Perhaps the main reason why I eventually
chose Gtk+ was that I liked the look and feel of GNOME and the GIMP
itself; part of the reason was also because I dislike KDE and rumour had
it that Qt was slow.

I took my first leap into Gtk+. Quite different - I was very familiar
with Borland's Object Windows Library, Visual Component Library and am
slightly familiar with the MFC. I wasn't able to work out terribly
easily how to get a window or such up in Gtk+ so I shelved it for a
while and discovered the online tutorial (as listed on the home page ).
The tutorial appears to be OK but it is online and my printer is dead. I
don't know what it is but I learn much faster if I can curl up in bed
late at night and just read away from the computer and the Internet.

Then I chanced upon a 40% discounted "Developing Linux Applications with
Gtk+ and GDK" book by Eric Harlow (New Riders part of the Macmillan
publishing group). It was well written, well thought out, basic enough
for total beginners like me but it looks like it's got enough info to
satisfy the more technically minded as well.

Heh! It's so painfully easy. Whilst programming any GUI in C is, well, a
little tedious on the fingers, it's not too difficult to work out what
is happening and how. I can't believe it. I'm now shifting all my Linux
development from Java to Gtk+....and who knows where I'll go from here!

DL