dead keys and key_press_event reporting

About dead-key (those keys that require another key press in order to
generate a character) behavior and Gtk/X;

I noticed that if I listen for key_press_event signals for a
GtkWindow object, dead keys are reported like any other non-dead key.
If I listen for the same event on a GtkEntry object, they
work like they are supposed to (and no dead_* keysyms are
reported).

Is there anything I can do so that key presses in a GtkWindow are reported
like those in GtkEntry?

(Does this have anything to do with what event types a certain
X window listens for?)

Oskar Liljeblad (osk@hem.passagen.se)
(Please reply to this address as well.)