Re: [gtk-list] Re: Dialog Boxes - help

Havoc Pennington <hp@redhat.com> writes:

> On Wed, 29 Sep 1999, Mark Volpe wrote:
> > I'm writing a function that pops up a modal dialog with some
> > text and buttons ( a la the Windows MessageBox function ). By itself
> > it works fine, but what do I need to do to make sure it interfaces
> > correctly with its parent window? I need to prevent the parent window
> > from receiving delete events or else it wreaks
> > havoc on my application. Here is what I have so far:
> >

> You can't really prevent delete events; you can set a hint that you don't
> want them but some window managers (Enlightenment for example) ignore it.
> I'm not sure how to set the hint, maybe someone else could post.
>
> The way to handle this is to connect a delete_event handler which does
> nothing and returns TRUE, preventing the default gtk_widget_destroy()
> action.

Are you saying that while a dialog box is up, deleting the application window
with the window manager must be disabled?

This is bad if the window manager does not place dialogs on top of the
application window. The dialog may be hidden, the application window
does not accept input, and the user doesn't know how to get rid of it.

Jon