Best Way to Destroy a Widget

If I want to destroy a widget in my program, what would be the most
efficient way of doing so?  Please note that I do not wish to exit my
program but only the current widget that is being displayed.  Right now
I am using gtk_widget_destroy(widget) which is called by a delete_event
signal.  You can close the widget only twice, but the third time you
close it I get a segmentation fault.  I also want to make sure that all
variables that were declared are free in memory.

Thanks