Re: [gtk-list] MDI applications in gtk?

>My question is if it is possible to do MDI applications with a GTK
>application.
>I mean if I can put a TOP_LEVEL_WINDOW into a TOP_LEVEL_WINDOW.

No, it's not. A top-level window is just that, a top-level window.

If you want MDI, use the Gnome libraries. These provide three different MDI
models (the broken Windows one, the correct X one, and a notebook style one)
which the user can select at run-time. Don't try to do it yourself or you'll
end up irritating a lot of people.

>I don't like the sheets method for having multiple windows inside an
>application.
>I find more user-friendly to have multiple windows inside a TOP_LEVEL
>one.

This is the problem; MDI is purely a matter of taste. I, for example, can't
stand the model you're describing and will go to any lengths to avoid it. Some
people like it (though I can't think why).

--
+- David Given ---------------McQ-+ Q. How much wood would a woodchuck chuck if
+- http://wired.st-and.ac.uk/~dg -+ chuck as much wood as a woodchuck would.