Problems compiling gdk

Stats:

gtk-1.2.6, glib-1.2.6
OS: linuxppc, Release 4

I get the following errors when the build process gets down to gdkimage.lo
(the *.lo files previous to this build without a hitch)

gdkimage.c: In function `gdk_image_new':
gdkimage.c:221: `key_t' undeclared (first use this function)
gdkimage.c:221: (Each undeclared identifier is reported only once
gdkimage.c:221: for each function it appears in.)
gdkimage.c:221: parse error before `0'
make: *** [gdkimage.lo] Error 1

I've searched the mailing list archives and haven't seen any problems
reported of this sort. So what am I doing wrong?

-D