Re: [gtk-list] GTK v's QT2 in speed tests!

On Sat, 20 Nov 1999 02:54:34 +0800, Joel Coulson <jmc@bolian.upnaway.com>  said:
> I'm thinking about coding a program that will draw every widget to the screen
> in both widget sets simultaneously. It would then erase, and redraw again.
> This would happen about 100,000 times. It would be interesting to see which
> finishes first.

The one that finishes first may well be the one that gives better hints to
whatever program you're running as a window manager.

Running the Tk/Tcl 8 'make test' under CDE would run in a few minutes. The last
time I ran it under Enlightenment, it took closer to 45 minutes - because the
'make test' generates a *lot* of windows, and I had forgotten and left the
"use slide-in animation on window map" option set, which added about .7 seconds
to each window create - which adds up pretty quick after several hundred windows

Moral: Make sure you kill off your window manager before you do any
benchmarking.  Then also make sure that you don't hit time-outs trying
to talk to a non-existent window manager ;)

--
				Valdis Kletnieks
				Operating Systems Analyst

PGP signature