Re: [gtk-list] GTK v's QT2 in speed tests!

On Sat, 20 Nov 1999, Joel Coulson wrote:
> I'm thinking about coding a program that will draw every widget to the screen
> in both widget sets simultaneously. It would then erase, and redraw again.
> This would happen about 100,000 times. It would be interesting to see which
> finishes first.
> Of course it goes without saying, only similar widgets could be used.
> Does this sound like an interesting project?

Sounds pretty meaningless. :-) What would you be trying to demonstrate?
What difference does this benchmark make to users?

Tcl/Tk is probably way slower than either, but no one comments on its
slowness as a negative if you're talking about menus, buttons, etc. Speed
is only a factor for things like GtkGLArea or other graphics-rendering
widgets and in that case 99% of speed comes from the underlying GL
implementation.

As Owen points out, perceived speed has a lot more to do with flicker than
with actual speed. GTK flickers a lot during opaque resize.

Havoc