Re: [gtk-list] Re: Gtk look and feel

Erik Mouw wrote:

> GTK inherited much of the Motif look and feel, but it just looks better
> (IMHO). GTK was originally written to get rid of the Motif dependencies in
> the Gimp, so that's the reason why it looks much like Motif.

But it is not a must that it should thus inherit Motif deficiencies :)
My point is: GTK has it's own style. Just look more carefully at it,
and you will notice that it's widgets look unique in some way. And
Motif's elements simply spoil the picture. It would be better if
you find some talented artist who can fix this. KDE team, e.g., has
a bunch of such guys IMHO. Just let the natural style of GTK get
throughout it's design.

> > When menu pops up (pulls down), the mouse pointer becomes leaned
> > backwards. That is absolutely unnecessary, because this conveys
> > no info to user at all, since s/he understands very well that
> > it is a menu to choose from. But it looks crooked, really.
>
> Unix users expect that behaviour, because it's exactly what every other
> major toolkit does (Motif, OpenLook). It's just to be consistent.

Why? That's where Unices are definitely wrong.

> > If you can't change things that are already deeply rooted
> > (for "historical" reasons, I guess :) , you at least can make all
> > these things themable, since some of them are not themable yet
> > AFAIK.
>
> Can you give an example of a non-themeable feature?

I doubt that mouse pointer is themable. BTW, _all_ Unix GUIs (except
KDE) have a buglet with submenus: if you are in a menu and some of it's
items is a big submenu, and you move mouse straight to an item somewhere
in the end of submenu, submenu disappears simply because you left
the menu area. This is also annoying. I know that it will be fixed in
Enlightenment 0.17. Why not to fix that in GTK?

--
Leon.