Expose events -- normal behavior or code error?

Hi all,

I am new to GTK and have written a program that animates a circle moving
across a drawing area.  I based my program on scribble-simple.c.  I clear
the backing pixmap, draw a circle in the new location on the backing pixmap,
cause an expose event, and then sleep(1).

The circle moves across the screen, but without a pause.  I inserted a
g_print into my expose event callback to see what was happening.  Expose
event is being called every second, but it doesn't seem like the drawing
area is being exposed until after the last expose event is called.

Is this part of Gtk's natural behavior, or is there likely an error in the
code?