Question about resources

A general question about how certain resources, strings in particular, are
handled in GTK. If I create a label given a string, or set the text
of a label to a string, does the label make a copy of the string or
use the copy that I gave it? In general, is there a consistent solution
throughout the toolkit? Just wondering, since different widget toolkits
have different ways of handling these things and I don't want to either
leak strings if they don't copy them, or free memory out from under GTK
if they do.

(BTW, I understand that such things as pixmaps are not copied and have
managed reference counts).

Thanks for your help,

james