Re: [gtk-list] Re: gdk_rgb_set_install

On Thu, 04 Nov 1999, Valdis.Kletnieks@vt.edu wrote:

> On Wed, 03 Nov 1999 20:40:16 PST, Arthur Jerijian <lightmanaj@earthlink.net>  said:
> > I am trying to disable installation of a private colormap using GdkRGB.
> > I have read the source code for GdkRGB and determined that gdk_rgb_set_install
> > is to be called *BEFORE* gdk_rgb_init. However, if I call gdk_rgb_set_install
> > with a value of FALSE, I still get a privately installed colormap when I use a
> > grayscale visual.
> >
> > Am I doing something incorrect?
>
> More likely, you're doing it correctly but not understanding the implications.
>
> If you're using a grayscale visual, this almost requires a private colormap
> if your default visual/colormap are PseudoColor or TrueColor.  The problem
> is that if in the default colormap, pixel 3 is "red", there is no good way to use
> that pixel in your greyscale visual with the default colormap (which says
> that pixel 3 is red).

I just tested my program on a PseudoColor display (with no grayscale visual
whatsoever) and I get the same phenomenon. It gets worse when I use a
pixmap-based theme. Basically, I don't care if I only have a few colorcells
available; I want to prevent GdkRGB from installing a private colormap unless
the user/developer specifically asks for one.

Well, maybe that was a bit harsh. But my question is still, am I calling
gdk_rgb_set_install properly in my code?

Thanks,
--Arthur