Using GtkOptionMenu or keyboard accelerators

Hi, I am using Gtk+ 1.2.0 and Perl-Gtk 0.5120 and I don't know how to
do some simple things, please be kind to me.

1) How should I set and get the selected MenuItem in an OptionMenu. I
want to display the current option and see if a new option has been
selected when I eventually extract all the data from the widgets.

2) How do I add keyboard accelerators to a manually created MenuItem
in a Menubar. I notice that I can set them at run-time by opening the
menu and putting the mouse over a MenuItem and then pressing a key
combination. After this, the key combination will cause an 'activate'
signal! I must be doing something stupid.

3) How do I make an OptionMenu expand to show all the text in the
selected MenuItem when it is packed into a table cell? Entry fields
and so on display as I would expect, but the OptionMenu just shows
the 'pulldown pip' on a small button.

I am sorry to bother you all with such basic questions but I have looked
unsuccessfully for the answers and I am stuck. If there is some
documentation that answers my questions please tell me and I will get
it.

Apart from the documentation, I really like Gtk, thank you all for
making such a beautiful thing.
--
Dermot Musgrove

email dermot.musgrove at virgin.net