Gtk--: Tracking down clobbered pointers and mysterious crashes

Hi,

I'm experiencing 2 mysterious crashes in my Gtk-- program
which I can't figure out and which I'm guessing to be some
kind of pointer gone astray. What I'm wondering is this:

1) Does anybody have any suggestions for some (software)
tools which might aid in discovering these obsucre bugs?

2) I typically allocate most my Gtk-- objects on the stack.
Is this considered OK or would dynamic allocation be
better? I seem to remember that Gtk objects are very
small themselves and dynamically allocate the memory
they need (which would make stack allocation OK). Any
tips from the Gtk-- gurus?

Thanks
--> R