Gtk--: setting visible len of Gtk_Entry fields

Hi,
after reading all the docs to Gtk-- and extensive help
from some list-users I think I can learn to use Gtk-- :-).

Some problem  I have no solutions found:
I like to hav a Gtk_Entry field with visibility only 5 chars width,
and if more of input it should autoscroll.
Is this possible, and if, please can You  email me how ?
and how can I set the vertical spacing in a GTK_VBox ?

thanks a lot,
sincerelly Yours
 Peter

--