Widget scrolling

Hi.

I'm planning to write a powerful GTK widget for browsing files in a standard way. (With icons view, small icons view, list view, drag n drop, rubberbanding, etc.) That widget could be used in file managers, cd writing apps, playlist editors, or even in GTK open/save dialogs.

I looked at how scrolled widgets work and i'm a bit confused. The viewport widget simply move its children window when adjusment messages are received. But I think that it is not very efficient to allocate a big X window for something like a list or tree widget, etc. Therefore, it seems that the CList widget handle the adjustment values itself and does the scrolling with XCopyArea and such.

The problem is that i can't figure out how the communication between the CList widget and the viewport widget is done.

Can you help me with that?

Thanks.

Jean-Francois Nadeau