shared libraries

    Hello!

    This is probably a terribly stupid question, but I'am a beginner,
and I didn't find the answer in the FAQ:

    I just can't compile the shared libraries: only the static ones are
generated.
    After a "./configure", an error message is returned, because my
configuration doesn't seem to be recognize, and configure want me to
give him an host name. Since I have an Alpha under linux, I write
"./configure alpha-linux-gnu". Then, configure go well. It even writes
that booth shared and static libs will be generated, but after the
"make", I have only the static libs, not the shared ones.
    Help!!

(my exact configuration is an alpha 21164 with redhat 5.1, and the
version of gtk++ that i try to compile is the 1.2.1)

--
Jerome Berthier