A simple question

I'm just starting with gtk and have a simple question I can't find the
answer to anywhere in the documents I can find :-

How do I "close" a window? Also, do I need to do anything to free the
memory
allocated to widgets when they are no longer needed?

Also, when I create (say) a button with a text label, does gtk make a
copy of the
string I pass as the label text and free it appropriately, or do I have
to do
something myself?

If there are any documents that describe this, I'd appreciate
information on
where to find them.