New feature for Text widgets

I needed some functionality to convert a pixel coordinate in a text widget to an index position in the underlying text stream. Fortunately, there was some code that moved the cursor to a given pixel, so I copied the code and removed the side effect of moving the cursor (and made it into an API function).

The motivation was that I wanted the mouse movement event handler to
be able to convert the current mouse position to a text location. Is there a better way to have done this? Can a function like this be added to the real library?

Thanks,
Owen