Re: [gtk-list] Re: layered widgets

> Havoc writes:
>
> >I guess not, but it seems like a sick hack to me. :-)
> >
> >Karl's solution sounds a bit better.
>
> Just to be clear: my "solution" consists of GtkDrawingArea with a
> pixmap drawn into it, and its window shaped with the
> shape_combine_mask stuff. I then arrange multiple GtkDrawingArea's
> layed out in a GtkFixed for its positional qualities, and they
> sometimes overlap.

I do think Havoc is right about you not wanting overlaping
widgets.  It was a fundimental assumption of gtk+ that
no 2 widgets occupy the same space.  I would avoid the layered
widget in favor of using the background pixmap.  After all
you really don't need the extra event capture and such that
Gtk_Pixmap is going to give you.  Therefore, just drawing on
the underlaying pixmap is better.

Kasper from the  mnemonic project claims to be getting
netscape like smooth scrolls at break neck sppeds using
the same technique.  (Don't have the link handy but it
is somewhere in their source tree.)

> I don't think of it as a sick hack :)

All my work is a sick hack, so don't feel bad. ;-)

--Karl