Getting Data from the user

I'm writing checking program that has to get information from the user
including check number, desription, DrCr, and Amount of check.  I want
the user to be able to type all the info in and then just hit the ADD
button in my program. I was wondering what would be the best way to do
this with Gtk+? I want to store all that data in one structure so I can
insert into a doubly linked list.... Should I use gtk_entry* or will
something else work better...Isn't gtk_entry strictly char ?

Thanks for your help