misleading error messages from style/set_name problems

I'm getting quite a few of these (glib-1.2.0, gtk+-1.2.0, Gtk---1.0.0)

Gtk-CRITICAL **: file gtkobject.c: line 1037 (gtk_object_get_data):
                               assertion `GTK_IS_OBJECT (object)' failed.

Gtk-WARNING **: invalid class type `gchar' in cast to `GtkObject'

These are *very* unhelpful messages. As best I can tell, they arise
from having used gtk_widget_set_name() with an argument that doesn't
resolve to a known style (i.e. an rc file says "widget FOO style BAR",
calling gtk_widget_set_name (FOO), but BAR isn't found).

If this is true, then perhaps a more useful error message would be
useful.

I'd offer up a patch, but I'm nervous about the gtk source code right
now.

--p