How to exit correctly?

I started to check my program for memory leaks using a malloc()
replacement utility. Unfortunately, the real leaks are hard to
identify since it seems like glib, gdk, and GTK+ all have allocated
various buffers and chunks that I do not really know about.

What is the correct way to shut down the libraries so they will
deallocate everything that they have allocated? I cannot believe that
it is exit() but I had a hard time figuring anything else out.

Or is all this just due to my program actually having leaks? I just
use gtk_main() / gtk_main_quit() to start/stop my program and clean up
my own stuff after the gtk_main_quit().

Thanks.

--
Mvh. Anders