Re: [gtk-list] Re: how can I trust glib when it has so manymemleaks?

Havoc Pennington wrote:

> On Thu, 18 Mar 1999, Ionutz Borcoman wrote:
> >
> > Give me one reason to believe you that that memory is not leaking. How
> > are the guys from glib checking they don't have leaks ? I agree that I'm
> > not an expert, so please teach me how to do the stuff in the right way ?
>
> They can tell you better than me, but my guess is nice design, code
> review, and observation of running programs. The same way you find any
> other bug. No big secret techniques or anything. :-)

Wrong answer :-) The answer should be: runing something that checks the
memory allocations/dealocations. It's like trying to debug a program by
putting printf() instead of using gdb. Memory leaks are not seen soo
easy by running programs.

> Since there are hundreds of programs using glib with no visible problems I
> doubt there's reason to worry about glib itself.

Let's say I trust the glib guys (do they have anything to say, or is
this uninteresting for them ?) and glib has no memory leaks. How can I
see that my program doesn't have memleaks. If your programs tries to go
beyond "hello world" stuff, you soon start to get hundreds of lines.
Sometimes I code late in the nite, sometime I make conceptual errors I
don't even know about. I'm not Stroustrup or Linus, I'm just a stupid
student. I try to do my code clean, but I cn't do this all the time.
ccmalloc helped me find some errors I've done. gdb and ddd other ones.
Without these tools, I'm dead. Please give a chance to live :-) Give me
a solution.

TIA,

Ionutz