a minor linking problem for gnomeicu revisited

Jeremy, et al

I've had a little bit of time to look more deeply into the problem, and to
rebuild all the gnome components about a dozen more times each on a couple
of different machines. (!!)

gnomeicu's "autogen.sh" constructs "aclocal.m4" from files in its "macros"
directory.  specifically "macros/gnome.m4" contains definitions for
GNOME_LIBS, GNOMEUI_LIBS, GNOMEGNORBA_LIBS, etc. by way of "gnome-config".

I'm just starting, and this system is very complex if not cunning to deal
with this complexity.. I don't know which piece is responsible for which
function, but my best guess is `gnome-config --libs-only-l gnomeui` should
return a list of gcc arguments which includes "-lpanel_applet", and it is
not.

Again, as mentioned in my first message which is appended below, the
problems I'm seeing when I try to build gnomeicu against the current CVS
tree are several undefined references to applet_widget_*, which are defined
in libpanel_applet.*, which is in turn defined in gnome-core..

Hmm.  Maybe if I build gnome-libs AFTER I build gnome-core, gnome-config
will be properly set up to know about libpanel_applet.. but I don't think
gnome-core will build without gnome-libs..  How many times should we
rebuild each of these directories?  Should gnome-config access a database of
some kind that each contributing component can modify?  or should gnomeicu
and similar applications access a separate "gnome-core-config" ?

I think I've had much success in building GNOME from CVS, but I've run into
and had to figure out several hurdles.  for instance, apparently without an
"mrproper" target, how can I get rid of automake-generated files like
"configure" and "install-sh"?  When I started to build from CVS into /opt
before removing the RedHat-installed libraries, I found myself in a state
where I could not even make the "clean" target, and I had to delete these
symlinks by hand.

Keep up the great work!  Keep fighting the good fight!  :)

james